"Great art is about conflict and pain and guilt and longing and love disguised as sex, and sex disguised as love."
-Almost Famous

Monday, October 10, 2011

del.icio.us - a reporter's wet dream

Excuse the slightly inappropriate title, I think I'm really funny. But actually, I fully stand behind this post's heading - if I were a reporter, I would dream about a story where all of my links and resources were in one handy place. 


In previous posts, I discussed the importance of having good relationships with reporters, especially if you're a PR practitioner. Today, after reading a PR Squared blog entry titled "Using del.icio.us for Thought Leadership," I'm convinced that del.icio.us is one of those perfect tools to help anyone in a PR role to create smooth and happy relationships with desired reporters. 


I have to admit, the idea of del.icio.us was still very strange to me before this blog post. I understood the basics of it but I really didn't understand how useful it could be. Basically, del.icio.us accounts allow PR professionals to expand on typical press releases by providing reporters with valuable background information as well. For example, if I wanted to promote a new product launch for a company, I would have the link to the press release in the del.icio.us account, some more links to background information about the company and its past product launches, maybe some more links to blogs that have tested the product and liked it, etc. I could label every link and send it all to reporters in a pretty package. If that doesn't make them want to write a story on your product, then they probably wouldn't have in the first place.


This blog entry definitely convinced me that del.icio.us is one of those social media tools that all PR practitioners should learn how to use as soon as possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment