"Great art is about conflict and pain and guilt and longing and love disguised as sex, and sex disguised as love."
-Almost Famous

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Tell me what you want, what you really really want

Ok, don't get too excited, this post is not about the Spice Girls (no matter how much I may want it to be). It's about what social media users want from companies using social media. Like with any form of PR, so many companies do social media completely wrong. Whether it's overposting or underposting, there's a very thin line of effectiveness in this practice. 


I recently read an article on PR News titled "Q&A: What Do Facebook Users Really Want?" In this article, PR News interviews Huma Gruaz, president and CEO of Alpaytac Inc., a full service PR agency in Chicago, about how to best use Facebook and Twitter for your business. Overall, I agree with her advice. However, she did say to not use Facebook to respond to customer service issues. While I haven't seen this in practice on Facebook, I recall learning in one of my PR classes about how Zappos used Twitter to promote their company and their customer service. Apparently, one day a twitterer tweeted that the shoes she got from Zappos were damaged. Almost immediately, the CEO of Zappos tweeted her back saying that they would replace them. While I'm not usually a fan of companies intercepting with my personal life, I still think that's pretty cool. 


I honestly feel that only 1 out of 100 companies doing social media are doing it right. Maybe even less than that. But eventually, you're going to have to give in to the fact that they're doing it. Good or bad, they're out there and they're trying to reach you. 


link: http://www.prnewsonline.com/free/PR-News-Q-and-A-What-Do-Facebook-Users-Really-Want_15250.html 

2 comments:

  1. I love this post because I love Zappos so much and I think the way the run their business from customer service down to social media is amazing. I love the idea that they saw their customer complaining using their social media and reacted right away! I am sure that customer will definitely use them again because she feels like her concerns are actually being listen to and acted upon...all because of social media! However does social media make it easier for people to complain?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting post viv :) I have to agree with you that many businesses aren't utilizing social media in the most productive ways. It will be interesting to see how things improve!

    ReplyDelete