"Great art is about conflict and pain and guilt and longing and love disguised as sex, and sex disguised as love."
-Almost Famous

Friday, September 16, 2011

Social Media: A Modern Love Story

While looking for a social media video to post, I stumbled upon a variety of gems that were decidedly too inappropriate to seriously post. One of these is a youtube video titled "a social network for two a modern love song": 




While this video is hysterical, it's also a commentary on our society and how the modern world is finding love. Things like friend requesting and lying about your age is funny to laugh about in this video but things like this happen on a regular basis. Sites like eHarmony and Match.com are more popular than ever and it's almost replacing dating in real life. While I grew up in the world of social media, it still blows my mind that people go online to find their love matches. The concept to me is completely unreal and kind of ridiculous, but the television commercials prove it, people actually end up getting married to strangers that they meet through their computer. 


It kind of makes me worried about the future of dating in general. Am I ever going to find myself on one of those sites? I really hope not. But who knows 10 years into the future? 

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more. My stepsister married her first serious boyfriend this summer. They met on match.com but I still agree with you! Don't get me wrong... I love my new step-brother-in-law(?) and for the 2 of them, the cyber fairy tale seems to really be coming true. But just because it worked for them, doesn't mean the whole concept isn't unreal and kind of ridiculous! I'm terrified about the future or dating... and the future of human interaction in general. If I have to meet my husband through the computer... where will my future grandchildren have to meet their childhood friends? Facetime?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am there with you. I was reading an article recently and I think the statistic they provided was that 1/5 marriages are the result of two people meeting on a dating website. What's scary is that a few years ago, the idea of a dating website seemed COMPLETEly rediculous to me. But even now, only a few years later, I already accept it as a little more mainstream. And I guarantee that statistic will only grow. Let's keep our fingers crossed we won't have to use match.com to find our husbands, but hey, in 10 years if we're still single, it may be entirely mainstream to use an online website. Who knows?

    ReplyDelete