"Great art is about conflict and pain and guilt and longing and love disguised as sex, and sex disguised as love."
-Almost Famous

Sunday, September 4, 2011

The Reinvention of the Press Release

In our PR classes at UMiami, the proper way to write a press release is drilled into our heads. However, in PR 2.0, Chapter 7 discusses how the news release is due a facelift and needs to be catapulted into the world of social media. I was really surprised at how heavily the chapter discussed social bookmarking and RSS because when I think of social media for Public Relations, I think of Facebook and Twitter reaching out to the general public. The idea of offering tags in a media release so journalists can bookmark information is something that I've never heard of before. 


Considering the book was published in 2008, I feel like it's still well ahead of its time. Before this class, I considered myself a relatively knowledgable social media user and I thought sites like delicious and digg to be unpopular and not very useful. To read about all these ways that journalists are using these resources is a very eye-opening realization and makes me want to take a closer look at the way social media is changing industries, outside of the usual Facebook and Twitter methods. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree; I never even considered that there could be a better way to hold your bookmarks in one area besides the top of my safari screen on the bookmark bar. I am constantly sending myself E-mails of link after link for all different topics. That would be an overwhelming amount of E-mails when a journalist is trying to do their job. This is something that I believe is already proving useful in the professional world with social media savvy people, but now that professors are teaching social media, I think students will find it helpful for group projects even and get started on using these tags, bookmarks, etc. before we all enter the professional world.

    ReplyDelete