"Great art is about conflict and pain and guilt and longing and love disguised as sex, and sex disguised as love."
-Almost Famous

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Do Mobile Apps & Social Media Go Together?

My partner and I presented on mobile apps and how it relates to social media recently. The fact of the matter is that mobile apps are taking over the world....or at least the internet. Soon, our phones will overtake our PCs (& Macs) as the most popular way of accessing the internet. That's kind of cool, yet a little scary at the same time. 


With mobile phones, we use the internet for a purpose. Personally, I don't really browse sites when I'm feeling bored on my phone because I'm always doing something. If I use the internet on my phone, I'm always looking to find or do something specific. This can create a problem for a lot of companies. Just when they thought they'd started attracting consumers with enticing websites and other media, now there's the added obstacle of trying to do it on a 2x4 inch screen. 


It's also going to be really difficult for companies to attract consumers with their own mobile apps. People download apps for a certain purpose, whether it's a timewasting game such as Angry Birds or a cool feature to edit photos such as Instagram, people use mobile apps for themselves. Many companies have developed apps for their brand so consumers can keep up with their latest news and maybe play some silly game with their brand logo all over it. But despite all the money, time, and effort they put into developing these apps, they're coming to the realization that people aren't downloading it. The memory space on people's phones are important and they're just not going to throw it away on something stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment